Saturday, February 6, 2010

Toasted Peanut Butter Sandwiches



This past Sunday, my Grandmother died (on my mother's side). This is why I haven't updated Secretista in about a week. Although I knew that my Grandmother would pass over very soon, it still came as a shock to my family and me. She was the last Grandparent alive in which there was a Grandchild to Grandparent bond. She died all the way in Nigeria while living with my Aunt. The fact that I had been telling myself for the past month or so that I wanted to go visit her because I felt her end was coming near kind of scares me (Could I be psychic?! Ha. No.). Needless to say, visiting her in her last days was impossible because flying to Africa is quite an expense. My family is praying for a miracle that somehow somewhere we can find the funds for a trip to Africa to at least have my Mom attend the funeral. If you're wondering how I'm doing, I'm okay. Nigerians are strong people, but I do choke up every now and then when I think of things like toasted peanut butter sandwiches.

Toasted peanut butter sandwiches was a treat my Grandma introduced to me. I wrote about this experience in a recent article for my school's newspaper. "When I was 12, she stayed with my family for the whole Summer. One day in July, I came home from cheerleading camp to find her in the kitchen putting two pieces of bread that were stuffed with creamy Jif peanut butter into the toaster. I asked her what she was doing and she told me, “Don’t question my actions child.” She insisted I try one of her nutty creations, and sooner than later, we were eating what may have been our third toasted peanut butter sandwich each. Ever since that day, I’ve vowed the said sandwich as my ultimate favorite lunch treat. No jelly please, just give me the peanut butter and bread." 

RIP Grandma. You will be missed.

xoxo
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
 
BACK TO TOP


Copyright © Secretista 2007-2010
All Rights Reserved.